Top Track 100

Bernie Ecclestone has built Formula One into one of the world’s most watched sports. Formula One Administration is the commercial rights-holder to the Formula One Championship. The company is owned by SLEC Holdings, 25% of which is owned by Bambino, the Ecclestone family trust. The other 75% of SLEC Holdings, owned by the German media company Kirch before it collapsed, is now controlled by JP Morgan, Lehman Brothers and Bayerische Landesbank. In its latest 2001 accounts the company reported operating profits of £185m on sales of £412m, and it employed 448 people. After several vintage years, Mercedes, Renault, Ford and BMW are said to be looking at staging rival races when present contracts expire in 2008. Ecclestone, whose wealth is estimated at £2.4 billion, is holding talks to head off such a challenge.

This profile reflects the company at time of publication and does not reflect any changes that may have subsequently occurred. Fast Track and its sponsors do not endorse, guarantee or recommend investment in any of the companies.

Company details
Year2003
Rank77
CompanyFormula One
ActivityMotor racing administrator
LocationCentral London
Sales £m412
Profit £m185
Year endDec 01
Principal shareholdersEcclestone family trust (25%), institutions (75%)
Staff448
Founded1999
Websitewww.formula1.com

If applicable:

* Supplied by company † Annualised figure **Estimated