Malcolm Walker, 67, set up Iceland in 1970 with just £30. Last year he regained control of the frozen-food retailer in a £1.45bn deal when he bought out its Icelandic owners. He and senior management now own 43%, with the remaining 57% owned equally by Lord Kirkham, founder of furniture group DFS, Brait, a South African private equity house, and Landmark, a Dubai-based retailer. In September, the company sold its Cooltrader frozen-food chain, also set up by Walker, to focus on international expansion.

This profile reflects the company at time of publication and does not reflect any changes that may have subsequently occurred. Fast Track and its sponsors do not endorse, guarantee or recommend investment in any of the companies.

Company details
Year2013
Rank16
CompanyIceland
ActivityFrozen food retailer
LocationNorth Wales
Sales £m*2,640
Profit £m*226
Year endMar 13
Principal shareholdersLandmark Group and others (57%), Malcolm Walker, management (43%)
Staff14,435
Founded1970
Websitewww.iceland.co.uk

If applicable:

* Supplied by company † Annualised figure