Iceland says it exists to help busy mums, and does so by selling low-priced frozen food from more than 800 UK stores. The retailer was founded in 1970 by Malcolm Walker, who floated it, left, but then came back. He regained control in March in a £1.5 billion deal when he bought out the Icelandic owners. Walker and senior members of his team now own 43%, with the remaining 57% owned by Lord Kirkham, founder of DFS, a South African private-equity house, and a Dubai-based retailer. Sales increased 5% to £2.4 billion in 2011. On Friday, Iceland reported sales of £2.6 billion for 2012.

This profile reflects the company at time of publication and does not reflect any changes that may have subsequently occurred. Fast Track and its sponsors do not endorse, guarantee or recommend investment in any of the companies.

Company details
Year2012
Rank15
CompanyIceland
ActivityFrozen food retailer
LocationNorth Wales
Sales £m2,388
Profit £m188
Year endMar 11
Principal shareholdersLandmark Group and other investors (57%), Malcolm Walker and senior management (43%)
Staff13,462
Founded1970
Websitewww.iceland.co.uk

If applicable:

* Supplied by company † Annualised figure